Big thanks to the readers who submitted their own recipes featuring chorizo, our ingredient of the week.
Phillip’s Chorizo, Onion and Parsley Stuffing
I made a chorizo, onion and parsley stuffing for our Christmas turkey. It turned out beautifully, with the spicy and sweet Chorizo giving the stuffing an extra little kick.
Chop 2 large onions and fry in about 150g butter until soft. Add Chorizo and cook a further 5 minutes. Then add breadcrumbs, fresh chopped parsley, salt and black pepper. Leave to cool. Stuff as much as you can into your prepared turkey before cooking.
Dermot’s Chorizo and Pasta
I have a really simple chorizo and pasta recipe which I do regularly, and my kids love it as well, which is always good! It’s really quick, and can be done from fridge to plate in less than 20 minutes.
- 3 Tblsp oil
- 25g butter
- 1 small onion, chopped small
- 1 small shallot, chopped small
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk ,finely diced
- 100g chorizo sausage, sliced and quartered
- 1/2 small yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
- 4 torn basil leaves
- 40ml red wine
- 500g penne pasta
- Heat oil and butter, add onion, shallot, carrot & celery and cook on low for 4 mins.
- Mix well then add chorizo, pepper and basil. Brown over medium head for 3-4 mins, adding red wine after about 2 mins.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta al dente and drain.
- Throw pasta onto plate, spoon sausage and veg Etc., over the top, and sprinkle with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
The whole thing takes about 5-10 minutes of preperation, and about 10 minutes of actual cooking, so it’s quick and easy, and verrryyyy tasty!!!!
Monday 19 January, 2009 at 12:25 pm
I use chorizo in loads of things – it’s great in omelettes, in tex-mex cooking (throw it in to fajitas, enchiladas or chilli), and another pasta idea is to cook the chorizo (with onions or cherry tomatoes or anything really) in a pan, then add some light cream. The oil from the chorizo mixed with the cream makes a delicious and sinful sauce for pasta.
Monday 27 July, 2009 at 9:42 am
very useful !