This is a simple and comforting soup that goes really well with brown bread and lots of grated black pepper.
Our reader SJ left a great top tip for broccoli soup: ‘Another soupy-tip that i learned in weight watchers is that the stalks of broccoli make soup really creamy (when you blend) rather than adding cream … its healtheir and it uses a part of the veg that many might otherwise throw out !’
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped up
- 3 large potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 800ml vegetable stock
- Black pepper
- Knob of butter
- Sweat the onion in the butter until it’s soft
- Put in the vegetable stock, potatoes and broccoli.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 20-30 mins until the potatoes are soft.
- Grind in some black pepper to taste, and puree the soup in a blender. You could add cream at this point if you like.