Every Tuesday, we’ll be featuring a €2 menu from our new contributor Mitchell O’Brien. Today, Mitchell shows us how to put together another family meal for just under €2 per portion.
Can you put together a meal for €1-2? Share your recipes here!
Total cost: € 9.96
Serves : 5
Cost per person: € 1.99
Optional: One measure of Brandy if you have it or like it!
For the from “the Kitchen press” items, I have allocated 60c – I suggest a jar or money box on the window sill.
1. Slice the round steak into 1cm thick strips about 4cm long.
2. Put in a bowl and marinate in the olive oil, diced garlic and salt & pepper while you are dicing the onions and chopping the mushrooms.
3. Sauté the onions and garlic for 2 minutes and add the marinated beef. Fry for 5 minutes and mix in the tomato puree, the mushrooms and plenty of salt & freshly ground black pepper.
(If you want to use a little Brandy, this is where you add it!)
4. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes and add the 250g of sour cream and mix through well. Bring back to the heat under the stroganoff but turn off before it starts to boil and leave to stand while you are preparing the rice.
1. Bring 1.5L of water and a tea spoon of salt to the boil. Add 3 cups of Basmati rice and simmer for 8 to 12 minutes (check the cooking instructions on the side of the packet of rice).
2. When the rice is cooked, drain in a colander and rinse with a kettle of boiling water.
3. Turn on the heat under the stroganoff for 1 or 2 minutes, but don’t boil.
4. Place some cooked rice on a plate and make a hole in the middle. Spoon some hot Beef Stroganoff into the middle of the rice and serve immediately. A little chopped fresh parsley is nice sprinkled over this dish if you have some to hand.