Here’s a few things you should know about CrackBird:
- It’s a pop-up restaurant that was set up for a period of 12 weeks only. The 12 weeks are about to end: its last sitting is at 10pm this Sunday, May 22nd.
- CrackBird serves fried chicken in the American soul food style.
- The garlic soy ginger chicken is delicious beyond belief. Skip the other varieties – we found the buttermilk chicken a bit tough, and the crunchy goujons are nothing special. But the garlicky one will haunt our dreams.
- The sides and extras are great too: chipotle baked beans or interesting salads like carrot and cranberry. Dips are all good, my favourites are the super-hot habanero and the creamy whipped feta. You can also get lovely refreshing lemonades and mint lime sodas.
- You can eat like a king for about €15-€20.
- They ran the savviest and most generous promotion ever to spread word about this restaurant: 36 free meals a day for Twitterers.
- It will undoubtedly be packed ourravit this weekend, but its well worth queuing.
- Peter and I have eaten there more times than we might care to admit during its twelve week run, and will miss it terribly. Here’s hoping that it makes the jump to a full time premises.
CrackBird is at 19 Crane Lane in Dublin 2 (the little laneway beside The Oak pub on Dame St). They don’t take reservations, just drop in.