29 Feb, 2012
Reader’s Recipe: Katia’s Curried Parsnip Soup
Our reader Katia shared this healthy recipe with us recently. For those who have an aversion to parsnips (you are legion!), you could substitute carrots, sweet potatoes or turnip.
- dash of oil
- 1 large onion (or to taste) peeled and roughly chopped
- 2/4 cloves of garlic peeled and roughly chopped
- a nice piece of ginger (at least the size of your thumb) peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 table spoon garam masala
- 6 parsnips peeled and roughly chopped
- 500 ml milk
- 1 litre veggie stock
- 1 chilli chopped and seeded
Sweat the onions until soft with the ginger, garlic and spices (about 10 minutes on medium heat). Add the parsnips and stir together so that everything is coated. Add the milk and stock. Bring to the boil and then cover and let simmer for about 30 min. Whizz together in the blender.
Optionals: You could add fresh chopped coriander at the end. Katia adds some black pepper and a few drops of sesame seed oil in the bowl. A real treat!