Oh no! The parson’s coming to lunch. You have to make something tasty yet modestly impressive and still have enough time to throw on your tea-dress. And find out what a parson is. This soup is just the trick. It’s pretty but still comfort food and everyone from kids to indigestion-ridden granddads love it. Courgettes are 2 for 69c in Aldi at the moment and ground almonds are very cheap in Asian supermarkets. What’s not to love?
- 50g butter
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 potato peeled and chopped
- 3 courgettes finely chopped
- 600ml veg stock
- 25g ground almonds
- 125 ml cream
- 125 ml milk
- Flaked almonds (to serve)
- Toast some flaked almonds in a dry pan and set aside.
- Melt butter, add onion and potato and cook over a low heat for 5 mins.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 mins (or until the potato is cooked).
- Add the courgettes, bring back to the boil and simmer for 5 mins.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the almonds, cream and milk.
- Blend, then reheat and season. Serve with the toasted almonds on top and a swirl of cream.