Earlier today, one of our readers criticised Tesco – now claiming to be “Ireland’s biggest discounter” for their sneaky price rises.
However, they have a few specials this week that are worthy of note.
I don’t wish to sound like the voice of the Skibeereen Eagle, but readers, if you notice that any of these prices are deceptive or misleading, please let us know:
- Heinz Apple and Mango Breakfast – 128g – 3 for 2
- Aquafresh Deep Clean Toothbrush – Buy one, get one free
- Tesco Tail-on Prawns – 125g – Buy one, get one free
- Tesco Green Seedless Grapes 500g Pack – Half Price (was €3.49, now €1.74)
- Tesco Easy Peeler Clementines 1.4kg – Half Price (was €4.99, now €2.49)
- Tesco Fresh Chicken Ex Large – 2100g – reduced from €8.49 to €5.99
- Tesco Ham Fillet (min 2kg) – reduced from €15.69 to €12.69
- Tesco Cranberry juice – 2 for €2.50 (€1.39 each)
I insert a caveat: I’ll need to check with Tesco that some of these offers are not only available if for online shoppers. I’ll try to let you know in the morning. In the meantime, you’ll find more offers here.
I’ll come clean – I don’t like their meat, or their fruit and veg, and I’m not so keen on many of their own-brand ready meals either.
But they’re perfectly fine and very competitive for Tesco yogurt and juice (their own brand non-concentrated apple juice is particularly good), staples such as pasta or rice, some household products, and non-Tesco branded goods, such as those you wouldn’t get in Aldi or Lidl.
But who cares what I think? What do you like (if anything) about Tesco, and what puts you right off?