This would make a lovely lunch or a light dinner. It’s a good way of using up leftover brown bread slices. Most of the ingredients you may either already have; the rest can be easily bought pretty much anywhere. A cheap meal.
This serves three.
- 12 wholemeal bread slices
- 2-3 sliced tomatoes
- 1-2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 small egg (or most of a medium egg)
- 75ml/ 1/8 pint milk
- 25g/ 10z of pecorino or parmesan cheese, thinly sliced
- A pinch of dry oregano (or three times that amount fres)
- 2 dessert spoons olive oil
- Butter for greasing
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven – 180°F/ Gas Mark 4.
- Heat oil. Cook spring onions on a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Lightly season with salt and remove from the heat.
- Cover the greased dish with half the bread, top with spring onions
- the tomato slices on top, sprinkle with the oregano, and cover with the remaining bread
- Beat the egg with some salt and pepper, and cover the mixture
- Top with the cheese and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes, until the cheese has melted and turned golden-brown
Tomorrow, I’ll post the last of the recipes for leftover bread. They’re two traditional staples of Sunday roast.