Our philosophy of food here at CheapEats is about value, and we mean that in more than one way. Value to us means well-priced food, but it also means food that has value: fair trade, local and environmentally friendly. Today is Blog Action Day, a yearly event where bloggers are asked to all write about a particular social issue in order to help raise awareness.
This year’s theme is Climate Change, and we have a number of suggestions how you can make a difference in a small and simple way:
- Always check where your fruit and veg come from, and buy the ones with the smallest amount of airmiles. Locally produced food is the ideal.
- While the health benefits of organic food are still not proven, organic farming is much kinder to the environment and more sustainable. Buy organic where possible and affordable.
- Fair Trade producers also use more sustainable farming methods, and re-invest profits into local communities.
- Take action on climate change: sign Oxfam Ireland’s petition calling on the Irish government to ensure a fair deal at the UN global climate change negotiations at Copenhagen this December.
- Donate. The world’s poorest people are the ones most directly affected by climate change.
- And of course, if you have a blog, write about Climate Change for Blog Action Day! Full details at www.blogactionday.org
If you’re a blogger and you’ve written about Blog Action Day, share the link in the comments below. Thanks!