A lighter soup for spring days, carrot and orange is a flavour pairing from heaven. It’s also, like many soups, a good way of using up those slowly dying vegetables.
- 10 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 800ml vegetable stock
- Juice and grated rind of an orange
A knob of butter or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Saute the onions in the oil for about five minutes, stirring. Add the garlic, stir for another two minutes
- Add the rest of the vegetables and sweat, with the lid partially on, for another 5-6 minutes, adding a little water if they’re sticking
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 25 minutes then add the orange juice and rind and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Blend and serve.