Sometimes the most surprising dishes come out of desperation. I fancied a pizza but I didn’t have a pizza base or the will to make one. I did however have flour tortilla wraps, mozzarella and a variety of antipasti which I usually have in the fridge for sandwiches.
To make this easy-peasy pizza; you simply heat the tortilla wrap in a pan, place some mozzarella and whatever other ingredients you fancy on top and place under the grill for a couple of minutes. Simples.
This recipe turned out really well and is also a lot healthier than the average stodgy pizza base. You can choose whichever topping takes your fancy and substitute the tortilla for Lebanese flatbread if you so wish. Depending on the size of the tortilla; you will probably want at least two per serving.
For the base
- Olive oil
- 4 flour tortilla wraps
For the sundried tomato paste
- 50g sundried tomatoes
- I garlic clove
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
For the topping
- 250g Mozzarella, cut into slices
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 10 kalamata olives, halved
- 6 slices of smoked salami, cut in half
- A handful of rocket
- Black pepper
- Brush a large frying pan with a little olive oil and heat. Place the tortilla wrap on the pan to heat. Preheat the grill to medium.
- Take the ingredients for the sundried tomato paste and blitz in a blender until it forms a paste. Smear a quarter of the paste on a tortilla, then top with the mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, olives, salami, rocket and a good grinding of black pepper. Place under the grill for three minutes. Serve hot.