17 Jan, 2012
Reader’s Recipe: Nanazolie’s ‘Holier Than Thou’ Lasagne
We put the call out for interesting but healthy recipes last week and a few of our commenters came back with some real gems. Lovely long time reader and commenter Nanazolie shared this delicious veggie lasagne recipe with us. It’s hard to imagine a lasagne being healthy, but if you use wholemeal pasta and go easy on the cheese and heavy on the vegetables, this will be both nutritious and very satisfying.
Courgette and Mushroom Lasagne, by Nanazolie
You can add some minced turkey if you must have meat, you’ll end up with a bit more sauce that will be lovely with spaghetti for another meal.
- 8 sheets of “no precook” lasagne
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 courgettes, grated
- 250 gr mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- one tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 stock cube dissolved in 200ml boiling water
- 60 gr grated Parmesan
- Dried herbs de Provence (oregano, thyme, marjoram)
- 250ml low fat milk
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- Cook the onion in a pan with some olive oil until soft but not brown. Add the courgette and mushrooms, some salt and pepper + herbs and garlic. Cook on medium heat until the water is gone. Add some chopped parsley if you have some. Add the tomatoes and let simmer for a few minutes
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Mix the corn flour with 2 tablespoons of cold milk. Heat the rest of the milk, then add the corn flour mix. Cook on low heat (keep stirring) until it thickens. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg, and mix with the stock.
- In an ovenproof dish (about 20x30cm), pour a third of the vegetable sauce. Add a layer of lasagne. Pour half the white sauce, a third of the vegetable, some lasagne. Add a final layer of vegetable sauce and the remaining white sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake, covered, for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes
- Lovely with a side salad. Forget the garlic bread ; )