I adjusted the recipe for a friend on the Weight Watchers diet, reducing the amount of potato and adding more broccoli instead. It’s a foolproof recipe and will serve at least four people.
- 1 large head and stalks of broccoli, chopped evenly
- 3 potatoes, peeled and chopped into rounds
- 1 leek, peeled, washed, and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 9 cardamom pods
- 1litre of vegetable stock
- 1 knob of butter or olive oil
- In a large pot, sweat the leek, onions, celery (if using – no need to buy it specially) and garlic in the oil or butter over a medium heat, covered, until the onions are translucent – about 3-4 mins. Stir occasionally.
- Add the potatoes and ginger and sweat for another two minutes. Meanwhile dry-fry the cardamom pods for about two minutes.
- Add the broccoli to the pot and mix with the other ingredients for a minute or two.
- Remove the cardamom seeds from their pods and add to the pot. Now tip in the vegetable stock.
- Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes have softened.
- Blend well – you don’t want to chow down on a lump of ginger or a cardamom seed. Return to the heat and simmer for a further 10 minutes or so.